Ballarat Cup

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

I got home two days ago after nearly a month away on holidays and one of the first things that my sister tells me is that Review have given her tickets to the Ballarat Cup and that I will be attending as her plus one. No pressure there!



The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

As some of my readers will remember I attended my first ever racing event a few months ago and when I was somewhat under the weather and suffering some serious anxiety. I had told myself that one day I might attend a racing event again (planning well ahead to avoid the stress), assuming that that day may be many years away.

So, for the second time in succession, I found myself in a position where I needed a good outfit with little to no notice. Although there are no published rules on what someone should wear to the races I am of the view that some unwritten rules do exist (after observing the style of the women at my last racing event). The key thing I noticed is that fashion tends to be conservative and most dresses are usually no shorter than knee length and skin exposure is left to a minimum. The kind of style that might win attention out in the paddock I suspected would unlikely win anything in the high-level fashion stakes (if I entertained the thought of entering a competition). 

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

Luckily while on holiday I purchased this H&M dress, which although was never purchased with this event in mind, it did happen to meet the requirement. Other dresses currently in my wardrobe that would otherwise meet these requirements no longer fit my post-baby body shape. 

My sister suggested I wear this hat, which I actually gave her for her birthday. To be honest, when I first tried the outfit together I didn’t like the hat but once I had done my hair and makeup she was able to convince me it worked. I had initially intended to do a Jean Shrimpton and go hatless. Gasp!


Fashions on the field style at Ballarat Cup Melbourne Spring racing carnival fashions on the field

Clare Schreenan from Clasch Design with Millinery Winner Lisa
(Local designer Clare Schreenan from Clasch Design with client Millinery Winner Lisa)
When we arrived, some of the girls from Myer came and asked us to enter Fashions on the Field. Although I was a little nervous, my sister suggested I enter and that she would also. We met some absolutely amazing ladies who had traveled all the way from around the state to enter FOTF. Apparently it is a bit of a hobby for most of them to travel around to the different racing meets and enter the competition. Once I found out what the prizes were I understood why!! 

Julia Zass and other judges of Fashions on the Field at Ballarat Cup 2016

Myre Fashions on the Field competition at Ballarat Cup 2016

Myer fashions on the field competition at spring racing carnival Ballarat cup 2016

I was lucky enough to be a finalist in the Local Lady category which was a pleasant surprise. I had the special pleasure of getting to know some of the other local finalists and their many talents. A number of them make their own gowns or millinery. Louise (pictured to my left) came runner up and made her own hat. It is simply ah-mazing! 

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

After the competition we were approached by some ladies who I initially didn’t recognize. Turns out they were the owners of the vintage hat shop where I purchased this hat! They had recognized the hat straight away and realized who we were. It was exciting to show them the hat and how we had styled it. They were also wearing some stunning millinery themselves! 

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

Special thanks to Review Australia for our tickets and all the beautiful ladies I met today that were so much fun to be with!

For more pics from the day by Finding Femme click here.

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag



The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag
The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag
Outfit Details
Scalloped straw and velvet hat: Lady Divine Vintage Hats
Dress: H&M
Clutch: Collette Hayman
Shoes: Nine West
Earrings: Bulgari
Bracelet: Hermes
Photos: Finding Femme

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

The Goldfields Girl at fashion on the field 2016 wearing h&m dress with navy vintage hat and bag

Ballarat Cup Fashions on the field Runner Up Amanda Macor and Milliner winner
(Millinery Runner Up Amanda Macor from the Ministry of Makeup & Hair with Millinery Winner Lisa)


Fashions on the field competition for Melbourne Spring racing carnival Ballarat cup

Georgina McKerrow at Ballarat Cup 2016 for the spring racing fashions on the field
(The stunning Georgina McKerrow with her lovely mother)

Georgina McKerrow wearing a beautiful hat by Louise Macdonald Millinery
(Georgina McKerrow wearing a beautiful hat by Louise Macdonald Millinery)

Milliner Angela Menz, Fashion Blogger Finding Femme and Amanda Macor at spring racing carnival Ballarat Cup 2016
Add caption
( Milliner Angela Menz, local fashion blogger FindingFemme with Amanda Macor from the Ministry of Makeup &Hair)

Millinery designer Carle with friend Chrissy at Ballarat Cup 2016
(Millinery designer Carle with friend Chrissy



Follow: Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | Bloglovin